Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Polls On Spanking

According to an ABC News poll conducted in October of 2002 and released in November of that year, "The public by a 2-1 margin approves of spanking children in principle, and half of parents say they sometimes do it to their own kids..."



A study done by ICR Market Research shows the steady hold of Americans since 1990 to the principle of spanking as a disciplinary tool. This study includes the above 2002 ABC News Poll
http://www.icrsurvey.com/Study.aspx?f=ABC_Spanking_1102.html

Do you approve or disapprove of spanking children?
Approve Disapprove No opin.
10/29/02 65 31 4
2/26/97* 65 32 3
4/22/90 65 25 10
9/4/46 74 24 2

Another question asked in the 2002 poll was "Do you ever spank your child/any of your children, or not? The numbers are: 50% Yes, 45% No.

2 comments:

James Shott said...

In my experience I have found that in raising four children with an 18-year span that spanking is a great deterrent to bad behavior, and the threat of spanking is a greater deterrent.

An example: When my only son was somewhere between 4 and 8 years-old, he was acting up in a restaurant. I told him that if he didn't settle down I would take him to the restroom and "blister his behind" (a figure of speech). He didn't settle down, and I took him to the restroom, explained that his behavior was not acceptable and that the next time I told him to settle down, he had better do it, and then proceeded to spank him. It didn't hurt that there were other people in the restroom. He was embarrassed, and his bottom hurt a little, and we returned to the table. I had no more trouble from him that night, and future problems were quickly remedied by reminding him of our visit to the restroom.

Spanking, by the way, is a distinctly different activity than beating. I do not condone or participate in beating children.

PubliusPoster said...

Thank you for your contribution. I'm glad to know another person agrees.